Good manners are still very important in today’s society, regardless of whether others choose to neglect them or not.
In this article, we are going to look at some specific reasons why good manners still matter so much.
- While many things go out of style, respect and appreciation never do. These things have been in place since the beginning of civilization, and remain just as important in today’s modern world. Manners are one of the defining characteristics of a civilized society.
- Manners serve a timeless purpose of showing respect for others, and make society much more pleasant to function in. They set boundaries for acceptable behavior, and these boundaries serve to enable a diverse group of people to get along. Without manners and the boundaries that accompany them, there is much more friction, hostility, offense, and unrest.
- Good manners can mean the difference between failure and success in your life’s endeavors. Those in power are usually keenly aware of manners, and recognize its practice in others. They know that a failure to follow good manners can destroy not only personal relationships but business and diplomatic relationships as well. Remember that when a company hires you, you will be representing them to the public and to their customers.
- Manners present an attitude of gratitude rather than entitlement. Things like “please” and “thank you” show others that you appreciate them, and that you are not taking them for granted. With “entitled” being an epithet thrown at so many young people today, it’s best to avoid even a hint of being entitled.
- In a society where much of our communication does not involve eye contact, manners become even more important to convey a sense of politeness and respect. Failure to practice manners in such a situation can lead to some severe misunderstandings. It only takes a few extra seconds to make sure your written communication is polite and appreciative – after all, there are text abbreviations for thanks!
- Manners help you make an excellent first impression, which immediately sets your apart from the crowd in the best way possible. Manners are increasingly rare, but even those that don’t practice manners often, though begrudgingly, respect those that do. Manners are never a mistake.
- Good manners make for positive relationships. If you want to have a good relationship with those in authority, then the practice of good manners goes a long ways in showing that you are mature, well-mannered, and understand the rules of interacting with others.
- Like it or not, even in a society where manners are treated lightly, you will find that good manners are rewarded and bad manners are punished. If you want to do well in life, whether in business or socially, then the practice of good manners is your first hurdle to overcome. Don’t let poor manners cripple your future.
So, is it still important to teach manners? This list of eight reasons seems to indicate that it is important, even if others are neglecting it.
Mimi Rothschild is a veteran homeschooling mother of 8, writer of a series of books called Cyberspace for Kids, and passionate advocate for children and education that is truly worthy of them. In 2001, Mimi and her late husband founded Learning By Grace, a leading provider of online Christian homeschooling Academies.